(USA) Ryan Rumsey
Assistant Vice President Experience Strategy
Conference Day One: Tuesday, 25 June 2019
Tuesday, June 25th, 2019
9:10 AM INTERNATIONAL KEYNOTE: Design Speaks Business: Aligning Design to Business to Meet Increased Expectations of Design-Led Innovation
Congratulations design leaders! With the popularity of Design Thinking, Design Sprints, Human-Centered Design, etc., and the business value design has created for companies like Apple, Intuit, Atlassian, Nike, Whirlpool, and Walt Disney, Design has earned its seat at the table. We made it!
But with great successes come greater expectations. As design leaders have taken their seats, business leaders continue to struggle with understanding the value design brings to everyday processes, funding decisions, resource allocations, and overall business viability. At this table, designers are often outmatched by counterparts in articulating the value of their work. Without being able to clearly articulate that value, design leaders run the risk of being pushed back into service line or peripheral entities.
In this talk, Ryan will review his approaches at USAA to connect design success to business success, to use design skills to develop business potential, and to justify design keeping a seat at the table. Welcome to bSchool.
- Developing new perspectives of colleagues and stakeholders to overcome perceptions and bias
- Embracing a business lens to communicate more effectively
- Aligning desirability to business viability through numbers
11:50 AM Translating Design Thinking into Design – Understand the Core Principles to Influence Cultural Buy-In
Design Thinking is a process for creative problem solving used to cultivate a common language of understanding in the development of products, services, processes, and strategy. Design is a craft, made up of specialized skills and capabilities to shape the execution of products, services, and experiences for a base level of quality. Without clarity on the overlaps and differences of both, organizations will fall short in meeting human and business needs in the best possible way.
In this session, Ryan will share:
- Design is different to Design Thinking; Understand the core principles of each
- Enable Designers and Non-Designers by apply Design Thinking into practice
- Leveraging the power of a business case to engage your stakeholders and bring forward the value of design thinking
Conference Day Two: Wednesday, 26 June 2019
Wednesday, June 26th, 2019
3:50 PM ROADMAP STRATEGY BUILDING: What’s Next for Design Thinking? Forward Planning to Sustain Radical Innovation
This session will bring together the themes discussed on Design Thinking and shed light on investment opportunities and priorities beyond growing revenue. The roadmap for innovation led by design will enable designers to influence through the art of storytelling and capture a deeper understanding to user pain points.
- Design for people: Understanding user pain points to innovate a truly impactful product or service
- Design for profit: Utilising storytelling to communicate your message and influence stakeholders
- Design for the planet: Maintaining social responsibility in design and business